Winter Wear

We’re already having damp, blustery winter weather here, though the snow hasn’t stuck yet, so we’ve been thinking about what is needed for comfortable early-to-mid-winter riding (besides, you know, lights and awesome studded tires) (Yes, I am speaking collectively here – it’s been a frequent topic of conversation between Angel and me in the past month.).

As total newbs to winter riding, we’re hardly in a position to offer advice, so instead, here’s where we turned:

Of course a big part of fall and winter riding is wearing tights with great boots. Ever noticed how hard it is to find a comfortable, well-fitting pair of opaque winter tights – especially if you have womanly curves and muscular legs? Well, so had our friend Fiona, from the Girl Can Bike Retro Rides & Prairie Skies blog. With the help of some friends (including us), she is doing an ongoing series of posts reviewing hosiery at her other blog, A New Me. So far we have reviewed tights from Maggie’s Organics and Sock Dreams – complete with embarrassing-to-us photos and the real skinny on where the crotch seams actually fall. Reviews of tights from Chinese Laundry, Addition-Elle, and We Love Colors are coming soon.

10 comments for “Winter Wear

1. November 15, 2010 at 11:57 PM

“Now if only I could find a great pair of stylish, waterproof, warm winter boots…”

I’ve come to the decision(at least in my mind) that they don’t exist:D I’ll probably be wearing my trusty but ugly Sorels again

Thanks for the blog mention too:)

2. November 16, 2010 at 12:44 AM

@S C Fiona: there’s a pair from Clarks that I think might work for my AAA-heel-DD-width foot… finding boots that accommodate both my calves and my feet is a lifelong obsession for me. =D

3. November 16, 2010 at 2:34 AM

The question of well fitting tights plagues me greatly after 3 winters of bike commuting. They are essential and, yes, where the crotch falls is crucial. Nothing hurt my feeling more than when I pulled on a pair of JCrew tights last year and the crotch was an inch too short. How they happens when I’m only 5’1″ is a mystery but the two pair of JCrew I purchased for this year are just right. This year the struggle is finding them in enough colors.

4. November 16, 2010 at 3:37 AM

Deborah….wonder if those Clarks come in Bigfoot size:) I have found cute wide calf boots galore now but none that I’d actually categorize a good snow boot. I”m a bit of a clutz too on snow/ice..Its pretty funny though it hurts when I fall several times during the season…

5. November 16, 2010 at 5:02 AM

The tights that have worked best for me in winter are footless (I’m tall and skinny, so I have the sagging crotch problem as well). My favourite pair for really cold weather are from MEC with windproof fleece lined material on the front. I throw a skirt over ‘em and no one knows I’m wearing technical cycling clothing. When it’s colder than say, -5, I’ll throw on some merino long underwear on underneath them, and they’ll take me down to -15 or so (-20 if it’s the polar fleece long johns). Wearing footless tights (with bottom zips) also lets you throw on the warmest socks possible – I actually buy my winter boots a half size too big so I can fit two pairs of wool socks in.

6. November 16, 2010 at 5:32 AM

I just bought a pair of Kodiak Syndey boots. They’re waterproof and leather with two buckles. LOVE them and am curious if i can ride with them. Check out the Kodiak web-site, although I got mine a Gravity Pope ;)
    I agree with Coreen; footless tights with woolies are so warm!

7. November 16, 2010 at 6:18 AM

Grandma Chan just bought Dexter a pair of UGGS.

?

S*

8. November 16, 2010 at 2:33 PM

the other bad thing about finding proper tights/leggings that are warm is finding them in a proper size….:( I finally found some fleece lined tights on eBay that will fit me, hopefully. I’d love the MEC legging but until they get a clue that real sizes don’t stop at Large I’m out of luck:(

9. November 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Good point about the sizing at MEC, Fiona. I like it because it’s one of the few places I can get clothes that are long enough for me in the sleeves & legs, but it’s messed up that I take a large (in tights, anyway) and I’m pretty sure I’m on the thin side of the bell curve.

10. November 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM

@miss sarah: My condolences? =D

Everyone: you are all too awesome. Thank you for the sharing.

Cool article, via our favourite LBD’s twitter feed: “@redbike_YEG Some tips for winter riding.” http://www.ffwdweekly.com/article/life-style/winter-guide/10-tips-for-riding-through-the-winter-6649/

Is it actually possible to have studded tires without removing fenders?

Comments are closed.